New service station concepts in the UK: How electric vehicles are influencing the way service stations attract customers
When taking into account that internal combustion engines vehicles sales will be banned in the UK by 2040, the question of what will the multimillion-dollar industry of fuel retail do, springs to mind. This case study examines the how the concept of service stations is changing to take advantage of new opportunities and build a business model that will survive the decrease in fuel retail.
- By 2030, sales of internal combustion engines will drop by 50% and in 2040, sales of such cars will be banned in the UK
- Large fuel retail companies are investing heavily to diversify their revenue streams. BP recently acquired the largest EV charging network in the UK, Chargemaster
- Most companies are increasing their offers at forecourts with a wide variety of stores to appeal to new customers, not only to motorists.
- Examines the business model of service stations
- Analyzes the future threats to this model
- Identifies opportunities in the market
- Explores how the market leaders are tackling the issue of increasing electric vehicle parc
- Looks into the future of the service stations business model
Reasons to buy
- What will happen with service stations in the run up to and after 2040?
- How are companies adapting to the growing Electric Vehicle market?
- What other opportunities can fuel companies exploit to profit?
- How will service stations appeal to EV motorists?
Table of Contents
Refueling process is different from EV charging process 6
EV charging is more time-consuming and demands different services while customers wait for their car to be charged 6
Service stations are centered on the need to fuel at a precise geographic location 7
Problems of the current service station model 9
Fuel is the primary demand of motorists 9
Non-fuel products may lack appeal to consumers not buying fuel 9
Drop in total fuel sales value and convenience stores as an alternative source of revenue 9
New service station that appeals to a wide range of customers and not only motorists 11
Service stations need to keep customers entertained and comfortable while they wait 11
Fuel Companies Invest in EV Chargers and Convenience Stores as road to zero approaches 14
The Road to Zero is approaching 14
EV parc is growing and will grow to represent a larger portion in the future 14
Convenience sales are growing as a way to diversify from fuel revenue and as a way to attract customers 15
Location of service stations is critical 17
Ubiquity of EV chargers gives them an advantage over fuel 17
Growing participation of stores at service stations 17
Service station of the future will have even greater focus on stores 17
Further Reading 19
Ask the analyst 20
About MarketLine 20
List of Figures
Figure 1: EV charging points 6
Figure 2: EV vs fuel charging 7
Figure 3: Total fuel sales value in the UK (GBPm) 10
Figure 4: Distribution of service stations sales in UK 11
Figure 5: Proportion of number total sites to sites with shops 12
Figure 6: Artist's impression of the service station of the future 13
Figure 7: Electric vehicle parc in the UK 15
Figure 8: Total convenience stores at service stations sales value (GBPm) 16
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
The report was very informative and gives me an interesting view on the Indian market.... "Area Sales Manager, Muhlen Sohn GmbH & Co. KG"
We would like to thank the entire team of Ken Research in showcasing professionalism in research and quick turnaround time. We have had multiple research reports from Ken Research. The deadline communicated for research was duly met. The research reports were covering many aspects in detail. This showcases their endeavor and care for client satisfaction and a strong understanding of the clients’ requirements. Thank you again for your help... "Group Vice President Strategy, Aliaxis"
I appreciate their diligence and determination in customizing the research project. The data proves to be valuable and accurate. I would, in future, definitely use their services again... "Technical Marketing Manager, Ascendis Health Limited"
I would like to thank Ken research team for meeting our report deliverables. The report is very good and we appreciate your well cooperation. ... "., Coldwell Banker - Riyadh "
The research you conducted was very helpful for us and the integrity of your research approach gave us great confidence in the data. Look forward to collaborating again in future... "International and Business Dev. Director, Duta Abadi Primantara"