Department stores: Major trends transforming the retail landscape
In the increasingly competitive world of retail, department stores are struggling. This case study takes a close look at the major trends which have transformed the landscape in which department stores operate, how this has ultimately led to their downfall and whether they will be able to bounce back in the future.
- Department stores have undoubtedly suffered as a result of the popularity of online retail and fast fashion, two trends which have drastically changed the needs and desires of the modern day customer.
- Department stores with a strong identity and clear target audience are best placed in the new environment, illustrating that department stores are not simply doomed, but that the poor performers are now feeling the implications of years of failing to adapt.
- There is a future for department stores in retail, but they are entering another period of fundamental change in how the sector is organized, and adapting to new challenges is critical.
- Implementing exciting technology into stores and excelling in the services that online retailers are unable to offer will be crucial for department stores that wish to thrive in the future.
- Examines the key trends which have impacted department stores
- Identifies the failures of those unwilling to adapt
- Analyzes department stores that are performing well
- Examines future trends that will effect stores
- Determines whether department stores have a future in retail
Reasons to buy
- What are the trends negatively impacting department stores?
- Which stores have failed to adapt to change?
- Which stores are doing well and why?
- What does the future hold for department stores?
Table of Contents
The dynamics of physical retail have changed, many have failed to adapt 5
A struggling high street has inevitably led to store closures 5
Online retail has become tough competition 6
Failure to bring online features into brick and mortar stores 7
Lack of appeal and in-store experience 7
Inability to keep up with fast fashion 8
Years of poor financial management 9
Some stores have adapted to trends and are performing well 11
High end department stores insulated from issues 11
Brands need a clear identity to stand out and attract customers 12
Strategic partnerships can be lucrative 13
Department stores can survive the online /digital era 15
Technology entering stores is the future of immersive shopping 15
Focus on developing aspects that online retailers can't offer 15
Localization of stores 16
Department stores won't go extinct, but only the most innovative will survive 17
Further Reading 18
Ask the analyst 19
About MarketLine 19
List of Figures
Figure 1: US store closures 5
Figure 2: United Kingdom online retail sector value: USD million, 2013-17 6
Figure 3: Debenhams new minibar feature will showcase travel-size items 8
Figure 4: Debenhams supply chain lead time is approximately 7 months 9
Figure 5: Sears Holdings Corporation revenue (USD bn) 2005 to 2017 10
Figure 6: Global luxury goods market value: USD billion, 2013-17 11
Figure 7: Mid-priced retailers are being squeezed 12
Figure 8: Selfridges is known for its vision and creativity 13
Figure 9: Amazon smart home experienced in Kohl's 14
Figure 10: The future of immersive shopping 15
Figure 11: Curated makers pop-up in Manchester 16
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
We would like to thank the entire team of Ken Research in showcasing professionalism in research and quick turnaround time. We have had multiple research reports from Ken Research. The deadline communicated for research was duly met. The research reports were covering many aspects in detail. This showcases their endeavor and care for client satisfaction and a strong understanding of the clients’ requirements. Thank you again for your help... "Group Vice President Strategy, Aliaxis"
I appreciate their diligence and determination in customizing the research project. The data proves to be valuable and accurate. I would, in future, definitely use their services again... "Technical Marketing Manager, Ascendis Health Limited"
I would like to thank Ken research team for meeting our report deliverables. The report is very good and we appreciate your well cooperation. ... "., Coldwell Banker - Riyadh "
The research you conducted was very helpful for us and the integrity of your research approach gave us great confidence in the data. Look forward to collaborating again in future... "International and Business Dev. Director, Duta Abadi Primantara"
An excellent provider. Thorough, precise and outstanding insight. They drill down to what we need and their reports are effective at integrating text with supporting graphics and charts. Their reports are a great resource to go back too. ... "General Manager SBU Manufacture, PT. KIMIA FARMA, TBK"