Success Case Study: Aperol in the UK-Remaking the traditional Italian "aperitivo moment" for a young UK audience
Cocktail culture has experienced a continuing internationalization, with beverages and their related indigenous consumption occasions and rituals finding homes aboard among consumers looking for new experiences and social facilitators.
Aperol is an Italian bitter liqueur, popularized in its native country as an aperitif, similar to its stablemate Campari. The brand has experienced a significant boost in international popularity in recent years, including in the UK, where it has ascended to the top spot in cocktail choices.
- Aperol provides an example of the openness of consumers to new (to them) experiences and influences. Indeed, introducing consumption rituals from one culture to another is a way of innovating with something that is known to work in one location.
- Novel becomes sustainable rather than a fad if the product can break out of an association with a particular occasion. This supports Campari's strategy of working on a phased entry into a market.
- For brands like Aperol, the essence is maintaining the spirit of the occasion, the event, and the idea that the brand is bringing something special and authentic. This is best managed on-trade, but can translate over to the off-trade.
- Private label discounters are highly effective at exploiting the trendiest products and offering much cheaper versions for off-trade consumption, as already seen in the Aperol case. With demand strong for such copies, the degree of brand loyalty off-trade becomes questionable.
Reasons to buy
- Use GlobalData's selection of successful and failed product launches and marketing campaigns from across the globe to inspire innovation.
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success.
- Obtain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
Table of Contents
About Successes & Failures Case Studies
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
The report was very informative and gives me an interesting view on the Indian market.... "Area Sales Manager, Muhlen Sohn GmbH & Co. KG"
We would like to thank the entire team of Ken Research in showcasing professionalism in research and quick turnaround time. We have had multiple research reports from Ken Research. The deadline communicated for research was duly met. The research reports were covering many aspects in detail. This showcases their endeavor and care for client satisfaction and a strong understanding of the clients’ requirements. Thank you again for your help... "Group Vice President Strategy, Aliaxis"
I appreciate their diligence and determination in customizing the research project. The data proves to be valuable and accurate. I would, in future, definitely use their services again... "Technical Marketing Manager, Ascendis Health Limited"
I would like to thank Ken research team for meeting our report deliverables. The report is very good and we appreciate your well cooperation. ... "., Coldwell Banker - Riyadh "
The research you conducted was very helpful for us and the integrity of your research approach gave us great confidence in the data. Look forward to collaborating again in future... "International and Business Dev. Director, Duta Abadi Primantara"