Fast-food restaurants face pressure to respond to the health trend exerting so much influence on consumer attitudes and purchase behaviors. However, this poses a particular challenge for that foodservice channel with its close association with convenient, but generally unhealthy, products. This has led the big names to experiment in various ways with offering consumers alternatives on their menus that attempt to bridge the gap between convenience and health, with varying levels of success.
- What consumers say and what they actually do are not always the same. Convincing people that they should eat healthier food and actually getting them to eat it are two different things. In the fast food context, consumers are looking for certain experiences and to meet certain needs that are often not aligned with health.
- Consumers are generally unlikely to perceive French fries to be a healthy product, no matter what demonstrable claims are made. Furthermore, Burger King gave consumers a choice where selecting regular fries made more financial sense or simply not buying fries was the truly healthy option.
- Burger King did not provide, through marketing or instore, an effective explanation to consumers of exactly how Satisfries were healthier that normal fries. The headline figures were presented prominently (40% less fat, 30% less calories), but no explanation was included of exactly how this was achieved.
- This case study is part of Canadean's Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind the failure of Burger King's Satisfries, the business's reduced-calorie French fries product.
- It delivers the critical "what?", "why?" and "so what?" analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products.
Reasons to Buy
- Use Canadean's selection of successful and failed product launches and marketing campaigns from across the globe to inspire innovation.
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
Success, failure, CPG, FMCG, innovation, Burger King, Satisfries, Chicken Fries, French fries, health, calories, demographics, brand identity, skepticism, trust, strategy, strategic
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
The report sent to us was on the point, and its information was quite extensive, well structured, and well researched. More importantly what we valued was your response time and professionalism. As a leading global consulting firm, our clients expect high quality deliverables in short periods of time, so a reliable research partner is essential. For the price that you have charged the quality of your services were exceptional. We look forward to continue our relationship with your team on future engagements.... "Senior Associate, Booz Allen Hamilton"
This is with regards to your report on India PVC pipes and fitting market outlook industry outlook to 2019. This is a very well written report and accept my compliments on the same.... ... "Mohit Mittal, Consultant, KPMG Advisory Services"
I am pleased to see the very useful and productive information in the report..Very well structured great presentation reflect professionalism in your research studies.... "Mustafa Masood, Financial Analyst , Coldwell Banker Riyadh"
While we still are studying and analysing your reports about Vietnam & Thailand, we would like to convey to your research team that they have done a very good job in compiling so much of information together. We hope to see more of such well researched reports. All the best & keep it up. ... "Prashant Bhagwat,General Manager, Mahindra"
We would like to appreciate Ken Research for their great efforts and wonderful support in providing the Market Intelligence Report for ITPC. The information, statistics and research are well understandable and very clear to the point. We are happy with Ken research for their good client service, on-time delivery of the report and as said the report itself. Thank you Ken research for bringing the valuable output for us. We would be looking forward to have more research with you in the near future. Wish you a success in your business!... "Jestin Mathew, Indonesian Trade Promotion Center"