Failure Case Study: Lidl's Deluxe Kangaroo Steak-Discount retailer forced to pull exotic yet controversial meat from shelves
"Failure Case Study: Lidl's Deluxe Kangaroo Steak", is part of GlobalData's Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind the failure of Lidl's platform, the company's exotic yet controversial meat offering. It delivers the critical "what?", "why?", and "so what?" analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products.
Lidl, one of the UK's leading discounters, removed its Deluxe-branded kangaroo steak offering from shelves following animal welfare concerns. The rare meat offering provided adventurous consumers with a favorable nutritional profile, which aligns with growing health awareness. A general reduction in the consumption of meat threatens the success of meat offerings, while ethical campaigns can further challenge consumption. This failure has inadvertently identified two solutions: offering exotic breeds of mainstream meats, such as pork and beef, and investing in lab-grown meat ventures, all of which suppress ethical and sustainability anxieties.
- Brands should track evolving consumer trends to ensure product ranges align with demand.
- Products need to be in line with the target audience's ethical beliefs.
- Exotic breeds of mainstream livestock and lab-grown meat are two areas that could allow producers to offer new flavor experiences without facing a consumer backlash.
Reasons to buy
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction 5
2. What? 6
3. Why? 8
4. Take-out 11
5. Appendix 14
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
Success, failure, CPG, FMCG, innovation, demographics, brand identity, discounter, exotic, premium, healthy, ethical, indulgent, animal welfare, health, nutritional, vegan, vegetarian, sustainability, cultured meat, lab grown, campaign, social, meat, pork, beef, vegan meat
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
The report was very informative and gives me an interesting view on the Indian market.... "Area Sales Manager, Muhlen Sohn GmbH & Co. KG"
We would like to thank the entire team of Ken Research in showcasing professionalism in research and quick turnaround time. We have had multiple research reports from Ken Research. The deadline communicated for research was duly met. The research reports were covering many aspects in detail. This showcases their endeavor and care for client satisfaction and a strong understanding of the clients’ requirements. Thank you again for your help... "Group Vice President Strategy, Aliaxis"
I appreciate their diligence and determination in customizing the research project. The data proves to be valuable and accurate. I would, in future, definitely use their services again... "Technical Marketing Manager, Ascendis Health Limited"
I would like to thank Ken research team for meeting our report deliverables. The report is very good and we appreciate your well cooperation. ... "., Coldwell Banker - Riyadh "
The research you conducted was very helpful for us and the integrity of your research approach gave us great confidence in the data. Look forward to collaborating again in future... "International and Business Dev. Director, Duta Abadi Primantara"