Success Case Study: Diet Coke in the US-Repositioning a tiring brand for a new generation
Diet Coke underwent a relaunch at the start of 2018 to address years of slow decline. With a new can design, look, and flavor options, and a Millennial-focused marketing campaign, the brand reversed its decline in short order, achieving its strongest growth since 2010.
Diet soft drinks have experienced a prolonged period of stagnation and decline, both as part of the overall consumer drift away from soft drinks consumption, but also from the proliferation of newer "zero-sugar" variants. "Diet" as a claim has become less well understood in a changed marketplace, necessitating a rethink for key brands.
- Developing an accurate understanding of Millennials, the audience identified as key to rebuilding the brand, has been vital to Diet Coke's recent success.
- The brand has presented itself as relevant to Millennials' outlook and lifestyle in irreverent advertising highlighting consumption experience over diet/health claims.
- Diet Coke has showed it is possible to shift demographic focus successfully (from 1980s Baby Boomers to Millennials) without a total reformulation. Presentation, flavor options, and effective communication can work efficiently.
Reasons to buy
- Use GlobalData's selection of successful and failed product launches and marketing campaigns from across the globe to inspire innovation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Table of Contents
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
Diet Coke, Coca-Cola, diet, soft drinks, carbonates, carbonated beverages, Coke Zero Sugar, sugar, calories, zero calories, marketing, Millennials, Generation X, Gen Z
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
The report was very informative and gives me an interesting view on the Indian market.... "Area Sales Manager, Muhlen Sohn GmbH & Co. KG"
We would like to thank the entire team of Ken Research in showcasing professionalism in research and quick turnaround time. We have had multiple research reports from Ken Research. The deadline communicated for research was duly met. The research reports were covering many aspects in detail. This showcases their endeavor and care for client satisfaction and a strong understanding of the clients’ requirements. Thank you again for your help... "Group Vice President Strategy, Aliaxis"
I appreciate their diligence and determination in customizing the research project. The data proves to be valuable and accurate. I would, in future, definitely use their services again... "Technical Marketing Manager, Ascendis Health Limited"
I would like to thank Ken research team for meeting our report deliverables. The report is very good and we appreciate your well cooperation. ... "., Coldwell Banker - Riyadh "
The research you conducted was very helpful for us and the integrity of your research approach gave us great confidence in the data. Look forward to collaborating again in future... "International and Business Dev. Director, Duta Abadi Primantara"