Success Case Study: Diet Coke in the US - Repositioning a tiring brand for a new generation
- Table Of Content
- Licence Rights
- Section Purchase
- Products and Companies
Success Case Study: Diet Coke in the US-Repositioning a tiring brand for a new generation
Diet Coke underwent a relaunch at the start of 2018 to address years of slow decline. With a new can design, look, and flavor options, and a Millennial-focused marketing campaign, the brand reversed its decline in short order, achieving its strongest growth since 2010.
Diet soft drinks have experienced a prolonged period of stagnation and decline, both as part of the overall consumer drift away from soft drinks consumption, but also from the proliferation of newer "zero-sugar" variants. "Diet" as a claim has become less well understood in a changed marketplace, necessitating a rethink for key brands.
- Developing an accurate understanding of Millennials, the audience identified as key to rebuilding the brand, has been vital to Diet Coke's recent success.
- The brand has presented itself as relevant to Millennials' outlook and lifestyle in irreverent advertising highlighting consumption experience over diet/health claims.
- Diet Coke has showed it is possible to shift demographic focus successfully (from 1980s Baby Boomers to Millennials) without a total reformulation. Presentation, flavor options, and effective communication can work efficiently.
Reasons to buy
- Use GlobalData's selection of successful and failed product launches and marketing campaigns from across the globe to inspire innovation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Table Of Content
Table of Contents
Single User License:
Report can be used by individual purchaser only
Report can be shared by unlimited users within one corporate location, e.g. a regional office
Corporate User License:
Report can be shared globally by unlimited users within the purchasing corporation e.g. all employees of a single company
Products and Companies
Diet Coke, Coca-Cola, diet, soft drinks, carbonates, carbonated beverages, Coke Zero Sugar, sugar, calories, zero calories, marketing, Millennials, Generation X, Gen Z