The Kenyan cigarette market is relatively small, even by Sub-Saharan African standards, due to the high price of cigarettes, which deters many consumers from regularly consuming them. Consequently, consumers perceive cigarettes as a luxury item with smokers purchasing a 20-piece pack on pay day then purchasing single sticks at kiosks throughout the rest of the month, which explains why per capita consumption is 144 pieces per year. The market volume was 6.5 billion pieces as if 2015, which is only a 4.7% increase on 1990 levels and highlights the low smoking prevalence in the country.
- Per capita consumption is 144 pieces a year; which a 46% below 1990 levels
- The industry estimates that the non-duty paid market accounts for 11% of the total market, as of 2012
- Only 15.1% of men and 0.8% of women over 15 years are smokers
- American blends of cigarettes are unpopular in the country with many smokers opting for Virginian blends
"Cigarettes in Kenya" is an analytical report by Canadean that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Kenyan market.
What else does this report offer?
- Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise
- Detailed information such as market shares and the recent developments of manufacturers and leading brands, along with company profiles
- Regulations, taxation, retail pricing, smoking habits, and the growing health concerns affecting overall production
- Prospects and forecasts of overall sales and consumption for 2015 to 2025
Reasons To Buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning
- As consumers' product demands evolve, the dynamics between different countries also change - favoring some countries and leaving others increasingly out of line with demand patterns. As a result, understanding the specific market dynamics of the Kenyan market is crucial to ensuring maximum future sales
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production & Trade
8. Operating Constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings
8.3. Other Restrictions
9. Company Profiles
10. Prospects & Forecasts
11.1. What is this Report About?
11.2. Time Frame
11.3. Product Category Coverage
11.5. About Canadean
Figure 1: Methodology
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2015
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2015
Table 3: Market Breakdown by Blend, 2000-2005 & 2010, Percentage Share (%)
Table 4: Manufacturer Sales & Shares, 2000-2015, Million Pieces
Table 5: Manufacturer Sales & Shares, 2000-2015, Percentage Share (%)
Table 6: Sportsman: Market Share, 2008-2012
Table 7: Old Excise Duties, 2007-2010
Table 8: BAT Kenya: Retail Prices, 2010-2014
Table 9: Smoking Population, 1990-2014
Table 10: Cigarette Smoking Prevalence, Overall & Tobacco Use by Gender, (GATS 2014), Percentage Share (%)
Table 11: Current Tobacco use by Age and Gender, (GATS 2014), Percentage Share (%)
Table 12: Male Smoking Prevalence by Age, Region, Education & Income, 2003 & 2009, Percentage Share (%)
Table 13: Male Smoking Prevalence by Age, Region, Education & Income, 2003 & 2009, Percentage Share (%), Continued
Table 14: Men: Average Daily Cigarette Smoking by Age, Region, Education & Wealth, 2009
Table 15: Men: Average Daily Cigarette Smoking by Age, Region, Education & Wealth, 2009, Continued
Table 16: Cigarette Production, 1990-2014
Table 17: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2014
Table 18: Imports by Country of Origin, Million Pieces, 2000-2014
Table 19: Cigarette Exports, 1990-2014
Table 20: Exports by Country of Destination, 2010 & 2013-2014
Table 21: Company profile: British American Tobacco Kenya Ltd
Table 22: Consumption Forecasts to 2025
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
BAT Kenya Ltd
JTI J Reynolds
Tanzanian Cigarette Company
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
The report sent to us was on the point, and its information was quite extensive, well structured, and well researched. More importantly what we valued was your response time and professionalism. As a leading global consulting firm, our clients expect high quality deliverables in short periods of time, so a reliable research partner is essential. For the price that you have charged the quality of your services were exceptional. We look forward to continue our relationship with your team on future engagements.... "Senior Associate, Booz Allen Hamilton"
This is with regards to your report on India PVC pipes and fitting market outlook industry outlook to 2019. This is a very well written report and accept my compliments on the same.... ... "Mohit Mittal, Consultant, KPMG Advisory Services"
I am pleased to see the very useful and productive information in the report..Very well structured great presentation reflect professionalism in your research studies.... "Mustafa Masood, Financial Analyst , Coldwell Banker Riyadh"
While we still are studying and analysing your reports about Vietnam & Thailand, we would like to convey to your research team that they have done a very good job in compiling so much of information together. We hope to see more of such well researched reports. All the best & keep it up. ... "Prashant Bhagwat,General Manager, Mahindra"
We would like to appreciate Ken Research for their great efforts and wonderful support in providing the Market Intelligence Report for ITPC. The information, statistics and research are well understandable and very clear to the point. We are happy with Ken research for their good client service, on-time delivery of the report and as said the report itself. Thank you Ken research for bringing the valuable output for us. We would be looking forward to have more research with you in the near future. Wish you a success in your business!... "Jestin Mathew, Indonesian Trade Promotion Center"