Tobacco in Japan
Tobacco in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2013-17, and forecast to 2022). The profile also contains descriptions of the leading players including key financial metrics and analysis of competitive pressures within the market.
- The tobacco market consists of the retail sale of cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, smokeless tobacco, and smoking tobacco. The cigarettes segment consists of filter cigarettes and plain cigarettes. The cigars and cigarillos segment comprises large cigars and small cigars. Similarly, the smokeless tobacco segment consists of pipe tobacco and fine cut tobacco (FCT) and the smoking tobacco segment includes snuff/snus and chewing tobacco products. The market is valued according to retail selling price (RSP) and includes any applicable taxes. All currency conversions used in the creation of this report have been calculated using constant annual average 2017 exchange rates.
- The Japanese tobacco market had total revenues of USD 37,628.8m in 2017, representing a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 0.9% between 2013 and 2017.
- Market consumption volume declined with a CARC of -4.2% between 2013 and 2017, to reach a total of 166.0 billion pieces in 2017.
- In Japan, demand for tobacco products is declining, primarily due to rising awareness and government initiatives.
- Save time carrying out entry-level research by identifying the size, growth, major segments, and leading players in the tobacco market in Japan
- Use the Five Forces analysis to determine the competitive intensity and therefore attractiveness of the tobacco market in Japan
- Leading company profiles reveal details of key tobacco market players' global operations and financial performance
- Add weight to presentations and pitches by understanding the future growth prospects of the Japan tobacco market with five year forecasts by both value and volume
Reasons to buy
- What was the size of the Japan tobacco market by value in 2017?
- What will be the size of the Japan tobacco market in 2022?
- What factors are affecting the strength of competition in the Japan tobacco market?
- How has the market performed over the last five years?
- Who are the top competitiors in Japan's tobacco market?
Table of Contents
Executive Summary 2
Market value 2
Market value forecast 2
Market volume 2
Market volume forecast 2
Category segmentation 2
Geography segmentation 2
Market share 2
Market rivalry 2
Market Overview 7
Market definition 7
Market analysis 7
Market Data 8
Market value 8
Market volume 9
Market Segmentation 10
Category segmentation 10
Geography segmentation 11
Market share 12
Market distribution 13
Market Outlook 14
Market value forecast 14
Market volume forecast 15
Five Forces Analysis 16
Buyer power 17
Supplier power 18
New entrants 19
Threat of substitutes 20
Degree of rivalry 21
Leading Companies 22
British American Tobacco p.l.c. 22
Japan Tobacco Inc. 26
Philip Morris International Inc. 29
Macroeconomic Indicators 32
Country data 32
Industry associations 35
Related MarketLine research 35
About MarketLine 36
List of Figures
Figure 1: Japan tobacco market value: USD million, 2013-17
Figure 2: Japan tobacco market volume: million pieces, 2013-17
Figure 3: Japan tobacco market category segmentation: % share, by value, 2017
Figure 4: Japan tobacco market geography segmentation: % share, by value, 2017
Figure 5: Japan tobacco market share: % share, by volume, 2017
Figure 6: Japan tobacco market distribution: % share, by volume, 2017
Figure 7: Japan tobacco market value forecast: USD million, 2017-22
Figure 8: Japan tobacco market volume forecast: million pieces, 2017-22
Figure 9: Forces driving competition in the tobacco market in Japan, 2017
Figure 10: Drivers of buyer power in the tobacco market in Japan, 2017
Figure 11: Drivers of supplier power in the tobacco market in Japan, 2017
Figure 12: Factors influencing the likelihood of new entrants in the tobacco market in Japan, 2017
Figure 13: Factors influencing the threat of substitutes in the tobacco market in Japan, 2017
Figure 14: Drivers of degree of rivalry in the tobacco market in Japan, 2017
Figure 15: British American Tobacco p.l.c.: revenues & profitability
Figure 16: British American Tobacco p.l.c.: assets & liabilities
Figure 17: Japan Tobacco Inc.: revenues & profitability
Figure 18: Japan Tobacco Inc.: assets & liabilities
Figure 19: Philip Morris International Inc.: revenues & profitability
Figure 20: Philip Morris International Inc.: assets & liabilities
List of Tables
Table 1: Japan tobacco market value: USD million, 2013-17
Table 2: Japan tobacco market volume: million pieces, 2013-17
Table 3: Japan tobacco market category segmentation: USD million, 2017
Table 4: Japan tobacco market geography segmentation: USD million, 2017
Table 5: Japan tobacco market share: % share, by volume, 2017
Table 6: Japan tobacco market distribution: % share, by volume, 2017
Table 7: Japan tobacco market value forecast: USD million, 2017-22
Table 8: Japan tobacco market volume forecast: million pieces, 2017-22
Table 9: British American Tobacco p.l.c.: key facts
Table 10: British American Tobacco p.l.c.: key financials (USD )
Table 11: British American Tobacco p.l.c.: key financials (GBP)
Table 12: British American Tobacco p.l.c.: key financial ratios
Table 13: Japan Tobacco Inc.: key facts
Table 14: Japan Tobacco Inc.: key financials (USD )
Table 15: Japan Tobacco Inc.: key financials (JPY)
Table 16: Japan Tobacco Inc.: key financial ratios
Table 17: Philip Morris International Inc.: key facts
Table 18: Philip Morris International Inc.: key financials (USD )
Table 19: Philip Morris International Inc.: key financial ratios
Table 20: Japan size of population (million), 2013-17
Table 21: Japan gdp (constant 2005 prices, USD billion), 2013-17
Table 22: Japan gdp (current prices, USD billion), 2013-17
Table 23: Japan inflation, 2013-17
Table 24: Japan consumer price index (absolute), 2013-17
Table 25: Japan exchange rate, 2013-17
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
British American Tobacco p.l.c.
Japan Tobacco Inc.
Philip Morris International Inc.
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
An excellent provider. Thorough, precise and outstanding insight. They drill down to what we need and their reports are effective at integrating text with supporting graphics and charts. Their reports are a great resource to go back too. ... "General Manager SBU Manufacture, PT. KIMIA FARMA, TBK"
Coherent, high-quality, thoroughly-researched reports. We received a very quick response to all our queries which eventually expedited the entire process.... "VP Innovation, Engineered Profiles LLC"
Well structured, the insights they shared with us were very helpful and reliable. Their timely assistance make their services invaluable to us. I would highly recommend them and would definitely use them again in the future if needed... "President, VPP E-Data Services, VPP E-Data Services"
The report sent to us was on the point, and its information was quite extensive, well structured, and well researched. More importantly what we valued was your response time and professionalism. As a leading global consulting firm, our clients expect high quality deliverables in short periods of time, so a reliable research partner is essential. For the price that you have charged the quality of your services were exceptional. We look forward to continue our relationship with your team on future engagements.... "Senior Associate, Booz Allen Hamilton"
This is with regards to your report on India PVC pipes and fitting market outlook industry outlook to 2019. This is a very well written report and accept my compliments on the same.... ... "Mohit Mittal, Consultant, KPMG Advisory Services"