Modern manufacturing across the globe will increasingly rely on a combination of technologies such as big data, analytics, 3D printing, and Nano technology during the next era of global growth and innovation. Despite the uncertain global economic conditions, manufacturers are expected to make steady investments in 2015, primarily driven by the need for productivity improvements.
- Kable's survey of 176 manufacturers finds that they are allocating a major portion of their ICT budgets collectively to hardware, software, and IT services. The need for innovation and increasing customer demands are further pushing manufacturers to invest in these core ICT segments.
- Inclination towards various cloud computing models is prominent among manufacturers, stemming from the increasing number of enterprises either investing or planning to invest in different cloud computing solutions in the coming two years.
- Moreover, the growing requirement of manufacturers to look for actionable data to differentiate themselves in the marketplace has created significant demand for business intelligence suites.
ICT investment trends in manufacturing presents the findings from a survey of 176 manufacturers regarding their Information and Communications Technology (ICT) investment trends. The survey investigates how manufacturers currently allocate their ICT budgets across the core areas of enterprise ICT expenditure: hardware, software, IT services, communications, and consulting.
The report illustrates the core technologies that enterprises are investing in, including enterprise applications, business intelligence, and mobility. The survey also highlights the approach to purchasing technology adopted by manufacturers. Through Kable's survey, the report aims to provide a better insight to ICT vendors and service providers when pitching their solutions to enterprises operating in the manufacturing industry.
In particular, it provides an in-depth analysis of the following:
- How ICT budgets are set to change in 2015 in terms of their overall size
- Allocation across the core elements of IT spend, including hardware, software, services, communications, and consulting
- Distribution of ICT money in areas such as the networks, applications, service desk, and data centers
- Which ICT functions manufacturers are interested in outsourcing
- Manufacturers' investment priorities based on their budget allocations across core technology categories such as enterprise applications, business intelligence, and mobility.
- Factors that are influencing manufacturers' investments in each technology category
- How manufacturers' IT budgets are currently allocated across various segments within a technology category
- Manufacturers' distribution of their ICT budget across various segments within a technology category
- Vendor satisfaction ratings for various core and advanced technology categories
- Insight into manufacturers' preferred buying approaches
- Business and IT objectives that manufacturers are looking to achieve through their IT investment strategies
- Factors that are influencing manufacturers' decisions to select an ICT provider
Reasons To Buy
- Understand how the manufacturing ICT landscape is set to change in 2015 to prioritize your target market
- Comprehend how money are being allocated by manufacturers in specific geographies and size bands to improve your market penetration
- Make effective business decisions by recognizing the opportunities within each of the core areas of ICT spend (hardware, software, IT services, telecommunications, and consulting)
- Realign your sales initiatives by understanding the current strategic objectives of manufacturers
- Enhance your market segmentation with the included, detailed breakdown of opportunities within selected technology categories (enterprise applications, business intelligence, and mobility)
- Prioritize your focus areas by understanding which factors are influencing manufacturers' decisions when selecting an ICT provider
- Understand the changes in customers' priorities and identify the business and IT objectives that manufacturers are looking to achieve through their ICT investment strategies
1 Trends in ICT budgets
1.2 Survey demographics
1.3 ICT budget changes
1.4 ICT budget allocation by core technology area
1.4.1 Hardware budget breakdown
1.4.2 Software budget breakdowns
1.4.3 Third party IT services expenditure
1.4.4 Cloud computing budget
1.5 ICT budget allocation by function
1.6 Outsourced IT functions
2 ICT investment priorities and vendor satisfaction
2.1.1 Enterprise applications
2.1.2 Business intelligence
3 ICT procurement trends
3.2 Business objectives and IT objectives influencing IT investment strategy
3.3 ICT provider selection
4 Sector-specific trends
4.2 IT expenditure plans for specific technology areas
4.3 Technology areas receiving largest investments
4.4 Business challenges
5.1 Manufacturers are investing in various ICT domains in 2015 to achieve competitiveness
6.2 Further reading
6.3 Contact the authors
Figure 1: Manufacturing - ICT survey geographic breakdown
Figure 2: Manufacturing - ICT survey breakdown by size band (number of employees)
Figure 3: Recent and expected ICT budget changes among manufacturers
Figure 4: Manufacturers' (external) ICT budget allocation, 2014 and 2015
Figure 5: Manufacturers' average hardware budget allocation
Figure 6: Average allocation of software budgets in manufacturing enterprises
Figure 7: Manufacturers' average IT services budget allocation
Figure 8: Manufacturers' average cloud computing budget allocation by technology
Figure 9: Manufacturers' average cloud computing budget allocation by implementation type
Figure 10: Manufacturers' ICT budget allocation by function, 2014 and 2015
Figure 11: Outsourced IT functions - Manufacturers' current and future outsourcing priorities
Figure 12: Enterprise applications - Manufacturers' current and future investment priorities
Figure 13: Enterprise applications - selected primary provider and vendor satisfaction among manufacturers
Figure 14: Business intelligence - Manufacturers' current and future investment priorities
Figure 15: Business intelligence - selected primary provider and vendor satisfaction among manufacturers
Figure 16: Mobility - Manufacturers' current and future investment priorities
Figure 17: Mobility - selected primary provider and vendor satisfaction among manufacturers
Figure 18: Business objectives and IT objectives which influence Manufacturers' IT investment strategy
Figure 19: Factors influencing manufacturers' decision to choose an ICT provider
Figure 20: IT expenditure plans in 2015 compared to 2014, for specific business areas within manufacturers
Figure 21: Top three IT projects in 2015 for manufacturers
Figure 22: Importance of the following business challenges for manufacturers
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
IT, Budget, Staff, Hardware, Software, Services, Communications, Consulting, Data Centre, Service Desk, End-user computing, Network, Applications, IT Management, development, maintenance, systems integrator, telco, reseller, outsourcer, infrastructure, help desk, support, client, mainframe, server, security, peripherals, storage, semi-conductor, cloud, license, application lifecycle, information management, software infrastructure, integration, SOA, desktop, hosting, disaster recovery, business continuity, convergence, mobile, voice, data. IT, Procurement, Purchasing, Buying, Local resellers, National resellers, Budget, Hosting, Staff, Hardware, Software, Services, Communications, Consulting, Data Centre, Service Desk, End-user computing, Enterprise applications, Business intelligence, Security, Content management, Mobility, IT systems management, Communications & collaboration, Green IT & virtualization, Cloud Computing, Efficiency, Customer satisfaction, SLA, Business goals, Price, Leading-edge technology, Contract flexibility. Enterprise applications, Customer Relationship Management, Enterprise Resource Planning, Financials, Supply Chain Management, HR Management, Product Lifecycle Management, Business Process Management, Interactive marketing automation systems & customer lifecycle management, Business intelligence, Data warehousing, Data marts, Analytics, Real-time Business Intelligence, Social sentiment analysis, Security, Identity & access management, Security & vulnerability management, End-point security & anti-virus, Network security, Content and web filtering, firewalls, Application Security, Backup & archive, Database security, Data Loss Prevention, mobile security, Content management, Document Management, Records Management, Web Content Management, Digital Asset Management, E-mail Archiving, Enterprise Search, Mobility, Mobile device management, mobile applications, Tablet computing, IT systems management, Systems & network management, Storage management, Service management, Database management, Transaction performance management, User experience management, Virtualization, Patch management & configuration, Communications & collaboration, Internet Protocol-Private Branch Exchange, IP-Contact Centre, Unified Communications, VoIP, Presence, Instant messaging, Web conferencing, Video conferencing, Green IT, Data centre, Power management, Cloud Computing, Infrastructure as a Service, Platform as a Service, Software as a Service, Private Cloud, and Hybrid cloud
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
Well structured, the insights they shared with us were very helpful and reliable. Their timely assistance make their services invaluable to us. I would highly recommend them and would definitely use them again in the future if needed... "President, VPP E-Data Services, VPP E-Data Services"
The report sent to us was on the point, and its information was quite extensive, well structured, and well researched. More importantly what we valued was your response time and professionalism. As a leading global consulting firm, our clients expect high quality deliverables in short periods of time, so a reliable research partner is essential. For the price that you have charged the quality of your services were exceptional. We look forward to continue our relationship with your team on future engagements.... "Senior Associate, Booz Allen Hamilton"
This is with regards to your report on India PVC pipes and fitting market outlook industry outlook to 2019. This is a very well written report and accept my compliments on the same.... ... "Mohit Mittal, Consultant, KPMG Advisory Services"
I am pleased to see the very useful and productive information in the report..Very well structured great presentation reflect professionalism in your research studies.... "Mustafa Masood, Financial Analyst , Coldwell Banker Riyadh"
While we still are studying and analysing your reports about Vietnam & Thailand, we would like to convey to your research team that they have done a very good job in compiling so much of information together. We hope to see more of such well researched reports. All the best & keep it up. ... "Prashant Bhagwat,General Manager, Mahindra"