The home entertainment industry especially United States was affected from the recession, although the home entertainment industry did show some resilience with consumer spending on rentals and purchase of DVD and Blu-ray Disc falling a relatively moderate 5.7%.
In addition, consumers spent US$~ million on digital rentals and purchases of films and TV shows over the Internet. Although consumer spending on DVD rentals at bricks-and-mortar stores, kiosks and online was flat at US$~ billion, rental transactions inched up 1.8%.
Physical movie rental market is again sub divided between In-store, vending and By-mail rental market. Digital movie rental market is a combination of cable video-on-demand, digital VOD and subscription VOD. By-mail rental market is also growing continuously but in 2008 growth rate is expected to be slow. By-mail rental also caters to a large part of the physical movie rental market. In-store rental market is a leader among all the physical movie rental market segments but in 2007 it has declined and the trend of downfall is expected to continue in 2008.
Consumer spending on the rental and purchase of video cassettes and DVDs in Europe reached US$~billion. Operator profitability is expected to rely heavily on the sale and rental of DVDs and games. Consumer spending through DVD rental vending machines is currently dwarfed by traditional over-the-counter rental (kiosks accounted for just two per cent of total DVD rental spending in the US in 2008).
The report covers Worldwide Movie Rental market with a detailed description of United States and European Markets. This industry is divided between traditional/physical movie rental and digital movie rental wherein each segment consists of sub-segments. Report talked about each segment and market share with a focus on VHS and DVD rental. Kiosk rental is another segment of the report which refers to an opportunity for the industry to grow further.Â
1. In 2008, UK had the third-largest filmed entertainment market in the world, after the USA and Japan. The USA accounted for 42% of the world market.
2. Consumer level revenues generated by transactional and subscription movie services in international markets amounted to US$54.39 million in 2008, up from US$26.58 million in 2007.
3. The international transactional market is driven by rental, which accounted for over 60 percent of transactional revenues in 2008.
4. The French market has been characterised by high levels of competition: more than 15 companies sell movies online.
5. Rental and sales of home entertainment software is a mature market, growing 3%-5% since 2001. Digital forms are growing rapidly, but physical media still dominates.
6. Kiosks would outnumber video rental stores in US currently.
7. Industry experts believe that the DVD rental kiosk market is expected to grow past US$1billion by 2011, which would comprise about 14 % of the total DVD rental kiosk market (excluding digital).
8. UK Video on Demand (VOD) in 2007 was a very small market, but VOD retail has taken a major chunk of the market, which is six times more than VOD rental market.
9. Two service models that have been a hit with consumers are online rental and internet catch-up TV. Online rental took almost 30% of UK film rental market in 2007 with 29 million transactions (US$~ million revenues).
10. In 2008, the most popular genre in UK was comedy which accounted for 23.90% of rentals, closely followed by drama and action/adventure titles.
1. Worldwide Movie Rental Industry Structure
1.1 Window Concept
2. Global Entertainment Industry
2.1 Global Rental Market: An Overview
3. United States: Home Entertainment Market
3.1 Rental Market by Segments
3.2 DVD Rental Kiosk
3.3 US Home Video Rental Market Forecast
4. United Kingdom: Home Entertainment Market
4.1 Retail Video Demand
4.2 Video Rental Demand
5. Industry Trends
5.1 DVD Rental Kiosk Demand
5.2 Recession boosted a change in Spending Habits
5.3 Japan Leading Rental Market Demand
5.4 Popularity of Online DVD Rental Services
5.5 Video Rental Services in Australia
6. Industry Driving Forces
6.1 Rising DVD Penetration Rate
6.2 Rising Consumer Spending on Rentals
6.3 Internet Users Driving Digital Movie Rental Market
6.5 Rising Movie Ticket Prices
7. Industry Players
7.1 United States
7.2 United kingdom
8. Players Profiling
8.1 Blockbuster Inc. Recent Financials Business Strategies
8.2 Netflix Recent Financials Business Strategy
8.3 Movie Gallery, Inc. Recent Financials
8.4 Hastings Entertainment Recent Financials Business Strategies
1. Hollywood Distribution Windows
2. Movie Rental Industry Structure
3. International Online Movie Revenue (in billion US $), 2008
4. Worldwide Rental Market Segments (2007)
5. US Consumer Spending on Home Video, 2008
6. Total film rental market US (in million US $), 2007 2008
7. Physical Film Rental Market by Segments (in million US $), 2007 2008
8. Digital Film Rental Market by Segments (in million US $), 2007 2008
9. US Home Video Rental Market (physical) (in million US $), 1998 2008
10. DVD Rental Kiosk Market Size (in million US $), 2008 & 2011 (E)
11. US Home Video Rental Market (physical) (in million US $), 2009 (E) 2014 (E)
12. Home Entertainment Market in UK, 2007
13. Retail Video Sales (all categories) , 1999 2008
14. Video Rental Market, 1999 2008
15. Video Rental Share by Genre, 2008
16. UK Movie Entertainment Market, 2007
17. DVD Player & VCR Penetration in US, 2003 2007
18. Total Consumer Spending (in million US $) Q3 09
19. Digital Movie Rental Market in US (in million US $), 2006 2008
20. Household Growth; Internet vs. Broadband vs. DVD in US, 2003 2007
21. NFLX, share of Home Video Market (physical), 2005 2008
22. DVD Rental Market Share Comparisons, 2004 & 2007
23. Blockbuster Revenues (in million US $), 2006 2008
24. Netflix Revenues (in million US $), 2006 2008
25. Movie Gallery Inc revenue (in million US $), 2006 2008
26. Hasting Revenues (in million US $), 2006 2008
1. Current Hollywood Distribution Windows
2. Filmed Entertainment Revenues by Region (in million US $), 2008
3. DVD Rental Kiosk Players
4. Key Statistics, 2007
5. The UK VOD Film Players & Services
6. Other VOD film providers
Blockbuster Inc, Netflix, Movie Gallery, Inc, Hastings Entertainment
DVD, VOD,Digital rental, Kiosk rental
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
The report was very informative and gives me an interesting view on the Indian market.... "Area Sales Manager, Muhlen Sohn GmbH & Co. KG"
We would like to thank the entire team of Ken Research in showcasing professionalism in research and quick turnaround time. We have had multiple research reports from Ken Research. The deadline communicated for research was duly met. The research reports were covering many aspects in detail. This showcases their endeavor and care for client satisfaction and a strong understanding of the clients’ requirements. Thank you again for your help... "Group Vice President Strategy, Aliaxis"
I appreciate their diligence and determination in customizing the research project. The data proves to be valuable and accurate. I would, in future, definitely use their services again... "Technical Marketing Manager, Ascendis Health Limited"
I would like to thank Ken research team for meeting our report deliverables. The report is very good and we appreciate your well cooperation. ... "., Coldwell Banker - Riyadh "
The research you conducted was very helpful for us and the integrity of your research approach gave us great confidence in the data. Look forward to collaborating again in future... "International and Business Dev. Director, Duta Abadi Primantara"