Payments Landscape in India: Opportunities and Risks to 2022
GlobalData's "Payments Landscape in India: Opportunities and Risks to 2022", report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Indian cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including cash, cards, credit transfers, direct debit, and cheques during the review-period (2014-18e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2018e-22f). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalData's research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers detailed regulatory policies and recent changes in regulatory structure.
This report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into the Indian cards and payments industry, including-
- Current and forecast values for each market in the Indian cards and payments industry, including debit, credit, and charge cards.
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including cash, cards, credit transfers, direct debit, and cheques. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
- E-commerce market analysis.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing the Indian cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit, credit, and charge cards.
- In August 2016 National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) developed a Unified Payments Interface (UPI), a real-time payment interface. It integrates multiple bank accounts into a single mobile app and enables customers to transfer funds to other users via a UPI ID or Virtual Payment Address instantly, 24/7 from their mobile phone. Since its launch, UPI transactions have observed tremendous growth-registering 312 million transactions with the support of 114 banks in August 2018-posing tough competition to international platforms Mastercard and Visa. To capitalize on this growing opportunity, payment apps such as Paytm, MobiKwik, and FreeCharge have integrated their services with the UPI. To further enhance the scope of digital payments, NPCI launched an upgraded version of its UPI in August 2018 that incorporates new features such as a higher transaction limit (from INR100,000 (USD 1,566.17) to INR200,000 (USD 3,132.35)), the ability to link an overdraft account with the UPI, the receipt of payment invoices to consumers' inboxes prior to payment, and pre-authorization of deferred payments.
- To bring the remotest rural areas into the mainstream banking arena, the government launched IPPB on September 1, 2018. Just like traditional banks, it enables individuals to conduct financial services including opening a current or savings account, fund transfers, utility bill payments, and merchant payments. In addition, individuals can receive direct government benefits including subsidies, as well as wages. The government has launched a total of 650 IPPB branches and 3,250 access points nationwide, with one branch in each district. Further, IPPB provides door-to-door banking services through more than 11,000 postmen. To expand the banking network, the government aims to link 155,000 post offices with IPPB by the end of 2018. The government has also launched an IPPB app which consumers can use to manage their account and pay for utility services including electricity bills, TV and phone bills, and college fees.
- To promote electronic payments, the government launched the IPPB QR payment card on September 1, 2018, an alternative to ATM and debit cards. It enables individuals to make cash withdrawals and in-store payments through biometric authentication. The card has a QR code in place of a chip or magnetic stripe, containing all the customer's bank account details. All transactions are authenticated via biometric scans in lieu of PINs/password, thereby making transactions safer and more secure.
Reasons to buy
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Indian cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Indian cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the Indian cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in India.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing the Indian cards and payments industry.
Table of Contents
Mobile Proximity Payments
Payments Infrastructure & Regulation
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
State Bank of India
Punjab National Bank
The cards and payments industry in India, Debit cards, Credit cards, Charge cards, E-commerce, Alternative payments
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
The report was very informative and gives me an interesting view on the Indian market.... "Area Sales Manager, Muhlen Sohn GmbH & Co. KG"
We would like to thank the entire team of Ken Research in showcasing professionalism in research and quick turnaround time. We have had multiple research reports from Ken Research. The deadline communicated for research was duly met. The research reports were covering many aspects in detail. This showcases their endeavor and care for client satisfaction and a strong understanding of the clients’ requirements. Thank you again for your help... "Group Vice President Strategy, Aliaxis"
I appreciate their diligence and determination in customizing the research project. The data proves to be valuable and accurate. I would, in future, definitely use their services again... "Technical Marketing Manager, Ascendis Health Limited"
I would like to thank Ken research team for meeting our report deliverables. The report is very good and we appreciate your well cooperation. ... "., Coldwell Banker - Riyadh "
The research you conducted was very helpful for us and the integrity of your research approach gave us great confidence in the data. Look forward to collaborating again in future... "International and Business Dev. Director, Duta Abadi Primantara"