The Baby Food Sector in Chile, 2018
"The Baby Food Sector in Chile, 2018", is an analytical report by GlobalData which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Chilean market.
Compared with most of Latin America, Chile's economy has performed well since 2011, and relatively consistently. According to government figures, poverty fell from 29.1% of households in 2006 to 14.4% in 2013 and 11.7% in 2015 (the latest survey). Most Chilean consumers remain very price sensitive, and the high price of baby meals has been a deterrent even to fairly well-off families. However, attitudes are changing, partly due to stronger consumer spending power, but also because of an increase in the number of working mothers, for whom the convenience of commercially prepared baby foods outweighs any cost considerations.
Chile has one of the more buoyant economies in South America, and prospects for the next few years are positive. The structure of the market will remain largely unchanged over the next six years, with milks continuing to represent the most important category by value. In terms of consumption, growth in the milks category will be held back by increasing levels of breastfeeding.
What else does this report offer?
- Consumption data based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing work and our in-house expertise to offer extensive data about the trends and dynamics affecting the industry.
- Detailed profile of the companies operating and new companies considering entry in the industry along with their key focus product sectors.
- Market profile of the various product sectors with the key features & developments, segmentation, per capita trends and the various manufacturers & brands.
- Overview of baby food retailing with a mention of the major retailers in the country along with the distribution channel.
- Future projections considering various trends which are likely to affect the industry.
- First-stage milks remain the largest segment. In recent years, however, this segment's share has declined
- sharply due to both the increase in exclusive breastfeeding up to six months and the expansion of the third-stage and specialist milks segments.
- The vast majority of baby milks continue to be sold in powder form, and liquid milks have struggled to make a mark.
- The majority of the Cereals products sold in Chile are wheat-based, but some rice- and oat-based are also available. Products are mainly for babies aged from six or seven months old.
- Over the last few years there has been an increase in the number of products marketed with a stress on their nutrients. Many Nestle products are promoted as containing probiotics and/or added iron, zinc, and vitamins.
- Wet savory meals are sold as either colados, which are pureed meals, typically aimed at babies aged under nine months old, or picados, which are mashed meals, usually for babies over nine months.
Reasons to buy
- Evaluate important changes in consumer behavior and identify profitable markets and areas for product innovation.
- Analyse current and forecast behavior trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit.
- Detailed understanding of consumption by individual product categories in order to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Investigates which categories are performing the best and how this is changing market dynamics.
Table of Contents
Background to the Market
Baby Cereals & Dry Meals
Meals & Others
Production and trade
Nestle Chile SA
Abbott Laboratories de Chile Ltda
Aspen Chile SA
Baby Food Retailing
Key Macroeconomic Forecasts
Prospects and forecasts
Birth & Population Projections
Additional Data Tables
List of Figures
Figure 1: Baby Food: Sector Size, 2011-2017
Figure 2: Baby Food: Per Capita, 2011-2017
Figure 3: Baby Food: Sector Segmentation, 2017
Figure 4: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Value, 2017
Figure 5: Food: Manufacturer Shares, Volume %, 2017
Figure 6: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares by Category, % Value, 2017
Figure 7: Baby Milks: Category Trends, 2011-2017
Figure 8: Baby Milks: Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2011-2017
Figure 9: Starter, Follow-on & Special Formula
Figure 10: Growing-up Milks
Figure 11: Baby Milks: Segmentation, Value and Volume, 2011-2017
Figure 12: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Category Trends, 2011-2017
Figure 13: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2011-2017
Figure 14: Baby Meals & Others: Category Trends, 2011-2017
Figure 15: Baby Meals & Others: Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2011-2017
Figure 16: Baby Food: Sector Size, 2017-2023
Figure 17: Baby Food: Per Capita, 2017-2023
Figure 18: Baby Food: Sector Segmentation, 2023
List of Tables
Table 1: Birth & Population Trends, 2007-2017
Table 2: Births by Province, 2013 & 2015
Table 3: Live Births by Age of Mother, %, 2011-2015
Table 4: Number of Women of Childbearing Age by Age Group, 2010 & 2015
Table 5: Number of Working Women in Chile, 2011-2017
Table 6: Trends in Incidence of Breastfeeding by Type of Feeding, 1993-2013
Table 7: Trends in Incidence of Breastfeeding by Age Group, 1993-2010
Table 8: Exclusive Breastfeeding Rates by Region, 2015 & 2016
Table 9: Exclusive & Predominant Breastfeeding Rates by Age of Baby, 1993 & 2005
Table 10: Breastfeeding Rates by Maternal Occupation & Age of Baby, 2005
Table 11: Sector Size, 2017, & Growth Rates, 2011-2017
Table 12: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume%, 2011-2017
Table 13: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares by Category, %, 2017
Table 14: Baby Milks: Category Size, 2017
Table 15: Baby Milk: Category Growth, %, 2011-2017
Table 16: Baby Milks: Facings by Pack Size, 2017
Table 17: Baby Milks: Brand Price Positioning Analysis, 2017
Table 18: Baby Milks: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2011-2017
Table 19: Baby Cereals: Category Size, 2017
Table 20: Baby Cereals: Category Growth, %, 2011-2017
Table 21: Baby Cereals: Facings by Pack Size, 2017
Table 22: Baby Cereals: Price Positioning, 2017
Table 23: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2011-2017
Table 24: Baby Meals & Others: Category Size, 2017
Table 25: Baby Meals & Others: Category Growth, %, 2011-2017
Table 26: Baby Meals in Jars: Facings by Pack Type, 2017
Table 27: Baby Meals in Pouches : Facings by Pack Size, 2017
Table 28: Baby Meals: Price Positioning, 2017
Table 29: Baby Meals: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2011-2017
Table 30: Baby Food: Sales by Outlet Type, % Volume, 2011-2017
Table 31: Baby Food: Sales by Outlet Type & Sector, % Volume, 2017
Table 32: Chile: Key Macroeconomic Indicators, 2011-2017
Table 33: Key Macroeconomic Forecasts 2017-2023
Table 34: Birth & Population Projections, 2011-2023
Table 35: Baby Population, Number of Babies ('000), 2007-2023
Table 36: Number of Women of Childbearing Age by Age Group, 2015 & 2020
Table 37: Baby Food: Market Value, Current Prices, 2011-2017
Table 38: Baby Food: Market Value, Constant Prices, 2011-2017
Table 39: Baby Food: Market Value, USD Million, 2011-2017
Table 40: Baby Food: Market Volume, Tons, 2011-2017
Table 41: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Current Prices, 2011-2017
Table 42: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Constant Prices, 2011-2017
Table 43: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, US Dollars, 2011-2017
Table 44: Baby Food: Per Capita Consumption, Grams, 2011-2017
Table 45: Baby Milks: Category Trends, 2011-2017
Table 46: Baby Milks: Sector Segmentation, % Value & Volume, 2011-2017
Table 47: Baby Milk Powder: Brand Price Analysis, 2017
Table 48: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Category Trends, 2011-2017
Table 49: Baby Meals: Category Trends, 2011-2017
Table 50: Baby Milks & Cereals: Trends in Imports, 2011-2016
Table 51: Imports of Milks & Cereals by Country of Origin, 2014-2016
Table 52: Imports of Baby Meals by Type: Volume, 2011-2016
Table 53: Imports of Baby Meals by Type: Value, 2011-2016
Table 54: Milks & Cereals: Trends in Exports, 2011-2016
Table 55: Exports of Milks & Cereals by Country of Destination, 2014-2016
Table 56: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, Current Prices, 2017-2023
Table 57: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, Constant Prices, 2017-2023
Table 58: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, USD Million, 2017-2023
Table 59: Baby Food: Market Volume Forecasts, Tons, 2017-2023
Table 60: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Current Prices, 2017-2023
Table 61: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Constant Prices, 2017-2023
Table 62: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, USD , 2017-2023
Table 63; Baby Food: Per Capita Consumption, Grams, 2017-2023
Table 64; Facings Allocation by Product Type
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
Nestle Chile SA
Abbott Laboratories de Chile Ltda
Aspen Chile SA
Demand, driver, Baby Food, Baby Milk, Baby Cereals & Snacks, Baby Drinks, birth, mother, breastfeeding, infant, food retail, Chile
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
We would like to thank the entire team of Ken Research in showcasing professionalism in research and quick turnaround time. We have had multiple research reports from Ken Research. The deadline communicated for research was duly met. The research reports were covering many aspects in detail. This showcases their endeavor and care for client satisfaction and a strong understanding of the clients’ requirements. Thank you again for your help... "Group Vice President Strategy, Aliaxis"
I appreciate their diligence and determination in customizing the research project. The data proves to be valuable and accurate. I would, in future, definitely use their services again... "Technical Marketing Manager, Ascendis Health Limited"
I would like to thank Ken research team for meeting our report deliverables. The report is very good and we appreciate your well cooperation. ... "., Coldwell Banker - Riyadh "
The research you conducted was very helpful for us and the integrity of your research approach gave us great confidence in the data. Look forward to collaborating again in future... "International and Business Dev. Director, Duta Abadi Primantara"
An excellent provider. Thorough, precise and outstanding insight. They drill down to what we need and their reports are effective at integrating text with supporting graphics and charts. Their reports are a great resource to go back too. ... "General Manager SBU Manufacture, PT. KIMIA FARMA, TBK"