Brazil Electric Vehicle Market Outlook to 2028
Segmented By type of Vehicles (Passenger and Commercial), By Distribution Channels (OEMs, Banks and NBFCs.) and Region (North, East, West, South)
About the Report
About the Report
The Brazil Electric Vehicle Market is characterized by a growing demand for EVs in urban centers, where factors like congestion and pollution are leading to the adoption of clear mobility option. Brazil’s commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emission is driving regulatory support and polices that promote EV adoption, such as tax incentives, subsidies, and reduced import tariffs.
As Battery technology improves, EVs will become more affordable and practical for consumers, resulting in increased consumer interest and awareness. The expansion of charging infrastructure is also an important component, alleviating range anxiety and promoting wider adoption. Established automotive manufactures and new comers alike are entering the market, offering a range of electric models to cater to diverse consumers preference. Overall, Brazil electric vehicle market is growing, and with a projected CAGR of 17% during the forecast period (2022-2028), it is driven by a convergence of policy incentives, technological advancement, environmental consciousness and urban mobility needs.
The Brazil EV Market is streamlined with some of the largest players, having major influence in the market. This ecosystem comprises EV manufacturers, charging infrastructure providers, battery manufacturing companies, and technology/software firms Battery advancements impact vehicle design, charging infrastructure requirements influence vehicle usage patterns, and software solutions enhance the overall EV experience. Government incentives and policies further shape the ecosystem, influencing investments, market adoption, and regulatory frameworks.
Brazil Electric Vehicle Market Analysis:
- Escalating gasoline prices in Brazil, soaring from $1.05/L in May to $1.17/L in June 2023, are prompting a surge of interest in electric vehicles (EVs). The potential for long-term fuel savings with EVs becomes an attractive proposition amid volatile oil prices, prompting buyers to make the shift for economic stability.
- The expanding middle-class segment, accounting for up to 47% of the population, is a key driver behind the increasing demand for electric vehicles in Brazil. As more people achieve higher purchasing power, the affordability and long-term cost savings of EVs align with their aspirations for sustainable and efficient mobility solutions.
- Government policies and initiatives have played an important role in fostering the growth of the EV market in Brazil. By offering incentives and subsidies, the government is making electric vehicles more accessible to consumers. These initiatives not only boost consumer confidence but also contribute to the reduction of carbon emissions and dependence on traditional fossil fuels.
Key Trends by Market Segment:
By Type of Vehicles: On Type of Vehicle, the Passenger vehicle is the dominant segment in 2022 because of their broader consumer base, daily commuting suitability, and increasing environmental awareness. Consumers opt for EVs as personal transportation, driven by lower emissions, cost savings, and urban mobility advantages. Government incentives often target passenger EVs, further boosting adoption. These factors collectively position passenger EVs as the preferred choice for individuals seeking sustainable and efficient mobility solutions.
By Distribution Channels: The market segmented by Distribution Channels into Banks, NBFCs and OEMs. OEMs sector dominate the market in 2022. Due to their manufacturing expertise, brand recognition, diverse product range, research investment and global partnership. These factors enable them to produce high-quality EVs, offer various models, innovate in technology, and ensure reliable after-sales support, making them key drivers in shaping the industry's growth and consumer adoption.
By Regional Split: The most dominant region is the South region of Brazil, The South region has a higher population density compared to other regions, which can drive higher demand for transportation solutions, including electric vehicles. Urban centers like São Paulo have a larger concentration of potential EV consumers. due to Availability of charging infrastructure is crucial for EV adoption. The South region has invested significantly in building a robust charging network, that contribute immensely to the market share.
The competitive landscape of the Brazilian electric vehicle (EV) market is characterized by a diverse array of players spanning various segments. Established global automotive giants such as Tesla, Nissan, and Chevrolet have a significant presence, offering a range of EV models that cater to different consumer preferences. These companies drive innovation in EV technology, design, and performance, setting industry benchmarks. Battery manufacturing companies such as Samsung SDI and local producers contribute to technological advancements, enhancing the efficiency and capabilities of EV batteries. Charging infrastructure companies play a crucial role, with international names like EVgo and Electrify America making their mark alongside local entities like EDP and Green Mobility. Their expanding charging networks address the critical concern of charging accessibility, facilitating widespread EV adoption.
- The Volkswagen aims to make significant gains in South America, Brazil with a major product. By 2027, the company plans to grow by 40% in Brazil, with the region’s largest EV market. i.e., 15 new electric and flex-fuel vehicle models are being expected to launched by 2025 alone.
- Volkswagen in 2021 announced the creation of a research and development center in Brazil to explore expanding the applications of ethanol and other biofuels in emerging markets, and nearly every carmaker operating in Brazil plans to keep ethanol it its lineup in some form going forward. That will further boost the EV market in future.
- Moreover, companies like, General Motors, skeptical that ethanol cars have a future in Brazil. The company, has laid out goals to be carbon neutral by 2040, wants to replicate locally its global focus on EVs.
- EXEED’s launch of new energy vehicles in Brazil in 2023 is a significant step towards promoting sustainability and reducing carbon emissions in the country. The company’s investment around 100 billion yuan in research and development and commitment to infrastructure development will contribute to the growth of the electric vehicle market in Brazil, providing consumers with more sustainable options for transportation.
Brazil Electric Vehicle Market is showing considerable growth over the years, moving forward with an expected CAGR of ~17% within a time period of 2022 to 2028. This rise is in the wake of New Technology globally, which is pushing this market to rise up to the newer challenges.
- Ongoing advancements in battery technology will lead to longer ranges, faster charging times, and reduced costs, boosting consumer confidence in EVs, strengthening the market even more. As battery capacities increase, leading to longer driving ranges, and charging infrastructure improves, EVs become more convenient and practical for everyday use.
- Expansion of a reliable and convenient charging network across urban and rural areas will alleviate range anxiety and promote wider EV adoption. A well-developed charging network with easily accessible charging stations across urban and rural areas will provide consumers with the confidence to embrace EVs for longer journeys.
- Increasing awareness of climate change and air quality concerns will drive consumers to opt for cleaner and more sustainable transportation solutions like EVs. The rise in awareness about climate change and air quality issues is motivating consumers in Brazil to opt for electric vehicles as a means to reduce their carbon footprint.
- With the collaborations between local manufacturers and global EV leaders will expedite EV production, technology transfer, and innovation, fueling market growth. Such partnerships can facilitate technology transfer, knowledge sharing, and efficient production processes, allowing local manufacturers to produce competitive EV models quickly.
Scope Of The Report
Scope of the Report
Brazil Electric Vehicle Market Segmentation
By type of Vehicles
By Distribution Channels
Key Target Audience – Organizations and Entities Who Can Benefit by
Subscribing This Report:
- Fleet Operators and Businesses
- Government and Regulatory Bodies
- Automakers and Manufacturers
- Charging Infrastructure Providers
- Energy and Utility Companies
- Financial Institutions
- Environmental Organizations
- Research Organizations
- Startups and Entrepreneurs
- Automotive Dealerships
- Transportation Associations
Time Period Captured in the Report:
- Historical Period: 2017-2022
- Base Year: 2022
- Forecast Period: 2022-2028
Major Players Mentioned in the Report:
- Volkswagen Group
- JAC Motors
- CAOA Chery
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Brazil EV Market Overview
2.1 Taxonomy of the Market
2.2 Industry Value Chain
2.4 Government Regulations/Initiatives for the Market
2.5 Growth Drivers of the Brazil EV Market
2.6 Issues and Challenges of the Brazil EV Market
2.7 Impact of COVID-19 on the Brazil EV Market
2.8 SWOT Analysis
3. Brazil EV Market Size, 2017 – 2022
4. Brazil EV Market Segmentation
4.1 By Type of Vehicles, 2017 - 2022
4.2 By Distribution Channels, 2017 - 2022
4.3 By Regional Split (North/East/West/South), 2017 - 2022
5. Competitive Landscape
5.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
5.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
5.3 Company Profiles Comparison
5.3.2 Volkswagen Group
5.3.6 JAC Motors
5.3.7 CAOA Chery
6. Brazil EV Market Size, 2022 – 2028
7. Brazil EV Market Segmentation
7.1 By Type of Vehicles, 2022 – 2028
7.2 By Distribution Channels, 2022 - 2028
7.3 By Regional Split (North/East/West/South), 2022 - 2028
8. Analyst Recommendations
9. Research Methodology
11. Contact Us
Step: 1 Identifying Key Variables: Strict regulatory control creation for all the major entities and referring to multiple secondary and relevant databases to perform desk research around market to assemble industry level information.
Step: 2 Market Building: Gathering statistics on electric Vehicles in Brazil over the years, penetration of marketplaces and service provider’s ratio to compute revenue generated for analytical services. Reviewing of service quality statistics to understand revenue generated which can ensure accuracy behind the data points shared.
Step: 3 Validating and Finalizing: Building market hypothesis and conducting CATIs with industry exerts belonging to different companies to validate statistics and seek operational and financial information from company representatives.
Step: 4 Research output: Our team has approached multiple Electric vehicle companies providing channels and understood nature of product segments and sales, consumer preference and other parameters, which supported us with validate statistics derived through bottom to top approach from onboarding and screening providers.
For any queries related to research methodology, click here to schedule a call with our analysts
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
How many electric cars are operating in Brazil?
As per the Brazilian Electric Vehicle Association, or ABVE, sales of electrified automobiles, which include electrics, plug-in hybrids, and hybrid models, totalled 49,245 vehicles in 2022.
How many EV charging stations are there in Brazil?
Brazil has 401 registered charging stations across the nation as of July 2023, Brazil had the most electric vehicle charging stations in all of Latin America. Mexico and Chile came next, with 340 and 316 stations, respectively.
Does Brazil import electricity?
Brazil imports electricity from neighbouring countries like Paraguay, Argentina, and Uruguay.
what is the market size of Brazil's electric vehicle market?
The market value of the Brazilian electric vehicle market was valued at $566 Mn in 2022.
What is the future market size of Brazil's electric vehicle market?
The Brazil electric vehicle market is anticipated to reach a market value of $1.2 Bn by the end of 2028.
Are electric cars popular in Brazil?
By 2030 battery-electric vehicles will capture 7% market of total light vehicles sold in Brazil.
Pre-book this report and get huge discount
Why Buy From US?
What makes us stand out is that our consultants follows Robust, Refine and Result (RRR) methodology. i.e. Robust for clear definitions, approaches and sanity checking, Refine for differentiating respondents facts and opinions and Result for presenting data with story
We have set a benchmark in the industry by offering our clients with syndicated and customized market research reports featuring coverage of entire market as well as meticulous research and analyst insights.
While we don't replace traditional research, we flip the method upside down. Our dual approach of Top Bottom & Bottom Top ensures quality deliverable by not just verifying company fundamentals but also looking at the sector and macroeconomic factors.
With one step in the future, our research team constantly tries to show you the bigger picture. We help with some of the tough questions you may encounter along the way: How is the industry positioned? Best marketing channel? KPI's of competitors? By aligning every element, we help maximize success.
Our report gives you instant access to the answers and sources that other companies might choose to hide. We elaborate each steps of research methodology we have used and showcase you the sample size to earn your trust.
If you need any support, we are here! We pride ourselves on universe strength, data quality, and quick, friendly, and professional service.