US Lithium-Ion Market Outlook to 2028
Driven by Driven by growing investment in telecom infrastructure and transformation towards digital communication
About the Report
About the Report
United States is facing a huge demand of Lithium batteries due to growing electrification in west. Demand for lithium batteries in the US is expected to grow more than six times, but still the country is expected to depend on imports for supply. The US Lithium-ion market is expected to grow from with CAGR of ~26% in 2023 to 2028 and by 2028 the market size would be approx. six times. USA has the majority of the market share with the maximum production of Lithium-ion batteries in North America.
The usage of lithium batteries is expected to raise due to the penetration of electric vehicles. It is anticipated to provide a massive impetus for the industry's growth in North America. The launching of various types of HEV’s and EV has led the increasing of hybridization and electrification. Until 2021, according to IEA, US has over 1.7 mn EVs and over 500000 HEVs in 2019 and they continue to increase. US is also to be expected to launch a range of EV models. In addition, falling lithium-ion battery prices and improving technology are expected to bring price-competitive electric vehicles to the market, creating demand for lithium-ion battery technologies in the near future.
US Lithium ion Market Analysis:
- The US Lithium ion market is expected to grow at a CAGR of ~26% . USA is the largest country market with the maximum production of Lithium ion batteries in North America.
- High demand for sustainable development is also a leading factor for the growth of the market. The domestic and international players cater US Lithium ion market and Tesla, Panasonic Inc., LG Chem. are the top players offering EV services and also services like manufacturing storing and battery pack making.
- The usage of lithium batteries is expected to raise due to the penetration of electric vehicles. It is anticipated to provide a massive impetus for the industry's growth in North America. The launching of various types of HEV’s and EV’s led the increasing of hybridization and electrification.
Key Trends by Market Segment:
By Type: In the US Lithium-ion sector, the dominant segment in market is Lithium Cobalt Oxide (LCO) Batteries in 2022.The Lithium Cobalt Oxide (LCO) Batteries Attracts maximum usage due to factors like higher energy density and performance in high-energy applications. It already has an established market presence due to early adoption in EVs. In addition, it is cost efficient in manufacturing than LFP batteries but due to high demand LFP is also making its way to market due to enhanced safety, longer cycle life, and better thermal stability.
By end user application: The US Lithium-ion market is segmented by application into portable electronic and Electric vehicles and others. The Electric vehicles dominates the market in 2022 due to growing demand and large production.The other key factors, which are responsible for the domination of EV sector Lithium ion market in US, are advancements in technology, support from governments and its regulations and constant development in the infrastructure.
By Geography: Regional Split by East, west , north and south of America segments the US Lithium-ion market.
- The West of America which includes with some parts of south of America dominates the market in 2022. West market hold ~27% of the US Lithium ion battery packs.
- The west side of America, which includes particularly California, has been a prominent player of clean green policies electric vehicle adoption, and renewable energy integration. It has encouraging initiatives and investments have contributed to the growth of the lithium-ion market.
- East side has also notable investments in battery manufacturing facilities, research centers, and energy storage projects. These efforts have aimed to support electric vehicle adoption, renewable energy goals, and grid-scale energy storage.
There are about 15-20 major Lithium-ion companies in US with majority of them offering EV and portable electronic services in the country. US Lithium –ion market is moderately fragmented with top 2-3 players contribute more than 50% of the market. Major players are Panasonic Corporation, Duracell Inc., Samsung SDI Co. Ltd, LG Chem Ltd and Tesla Inc. Major Companies in lithium-ion market are Tesla and Panasonic Inc., which are majorly concentrated in United States.
- Government’s policies on environment friendly transportation is also a trending factor in rise of lithium battery products. The US Department of Energy announced in June that it was allocating more than $192 million in new funding for recycling lithium ion batteries from consumer products.
- In February 2023, Ascend Elements announced a basic agreement with Honda Motor Co. Ltd to collaborate on stable procurement of recycled lithium-ion battery materials. Ascend is a United States-based battery recycling and engineered materials company. Yoshino Technology announced the development of solid-state lithium-ion batteries with outputs ranging from 330 W to 4,000 W designed for home backup, off-grid applications, and powering small industrial machinery.
- Tesla is currently working with Japanese company Panasonic, its longtime partner, as well as South Korea's LG Energy Solutions for making its batteries. Tesla wants to continue with the same in future for maximum revenue.
- Also founder Elon Musk announced the reiteration of the company’s plans to sell 20 million vehicles by 2030 and thus bird eyeing the main goal of expanding the Li-ion battery market in USA.
US Lithium ion market is expected to show increasing and is expected to grow at a CAGR of ~26% from 2022 to 2028 with Government initiatives for infrastructure development are expected to enhance the connectivity within US.
- Tesla is also planning start production at its 50 GWh a year lithium refinery in Corpus Christi, Texas, this year.
- US is also to be expected to launch a range of EV models. In addition, falling lithium-ion battery prices and improving technology are expected to bring price-competitive electric vehicles to the market, creating demand for lithium-ion battery technologies in the near future
Scope Of The Report
Scope of the Report
US Lithium-ion Market Segmentation
By types of chemicals
· Lithium Cobalt Oxide Batteries
· Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries.
· Lithium titanate
By End-Users application
· Portable electronics
· Electric vehicles
· Biomedical implantable devices
By Regional areas
Key Target Audience – Organizations and Entities Who Can Benefit by Subscribing This Report:
- Automotive Companies
- Third-Party battery services Providers
- Potential Market Entrants
- EV service Companies
- Battery storage Companies
- Portable electronics Companies
- Battery packs Industry Associations
- Consulting Agencies
- Venture capitalists and investors
- Government Bodies & Regulating Authorities
Time Period Captured in the Report:
- Historical Period: 2017-2022
- Base Year: 2022
- Forecast Period: 2022-2028
Major Players Mentioned in the Report:
- Panasonic Corporation,
- Duracell Inc.
- Samsung SDI Co. Ltd
- LG Chem Ltd
- Tesla Inc.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. US Lithium-ion market Overview
2.1 Taxonomy of the Market
2.2 Industry Value Chain
2.4 Government Regulations/Initiatives for the Market
2.5 Growth Drivers of the US Lithium-ion market
2.6 Issues and Challenges of the US Lithium-ion market
2.7 Impact of COVID-19 on the US Lithium-ion market
2.8 SWOT Analysis
3.US Lithium-ion market Size, 2017 – 2022
4. US Lithium-ion market Segmentation
4.1 By Type , 2017 - 2022
4.2 By End Application, 2017 - 2022
4.3 By Regional Split, 2017 - 2022
5. Competitive Landscape
5.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
5.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
5.3 Company Profiles
5.3.1 Panasonic Corporation,
5.3.2 Duracell Inc.
5.3.3 Samsung SDI Co. Ltd
5.3.4 LG Chem Ltd
5.3.5 Tesla Inc.
6. US Lithium-ion Future Market Size, 2022 – 2028
7. US Lithium-ion Future Market Segmentation
By Type of Application, 2022 - 2028
7.2 By type, 2022 - 2028
7.3 By Regional Split, 2022 - 2028
8. Analyst Recommendations
9. Research Methodology
step :1 Identifying Key Variables: Ecosystem creation for all the major entities and referring to multiple secondary and proprietary databases to perform desk research around market to collate industry level information.
step :2 Market Building: Collating statistics on Li-ion players over the years, penetration of marketplaces and service providers ratio to compute revenue generated for Li-ion services.
step :3 Validating and Finalizing: Building market hypothesis and conducting CATIs with industry exerts belonging to different companies to validate statistics and seek operational and financial information from company representatives.
step :4 Research output: Our team has approached multiple Li-ion Players and battery packs services providing companies and understand nature of product segments and sales, consumer preference and other parameters, which supported US validate statistics derived through bottom to top approach from Li-ion battery companies
For any queries related to research methodology, click here to schedule a call with our analysts
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
How big is US Lithium-Ion market?
The US lithium-ion market reached 5 billion USD in 2022 and is expected to reach 20 billion USD with a CAGR of 26% during the forecast period 2022-2028.
Which region is dominant in US lithium-ion market?
The Western region of US dominates the lithium-ion market.
Which are the major companies in US lithium-ion market?
Panasonic Corporation, Duracell Inc., Samsung SDI Co. Ltd., LG Chem Ltd., and Tesla Inc. are the major companies in US lithium-ion market.
What are the major driving factors of US lithium-ion market?
High demand for sustainable development and penetration of electric vehicles are the major driving factors of US lithium-ion market.
Which end-user segment dominates the US lithium-ion market?
In the end-user segment, portable electronics dominate the US lithium-ion market.
Pre-book this report and get huge discount
Why Buy From US?
What makes us stand out is that our consultants follows Robust, Refine and Result (RRR) methodology. i.e. Robust for clear definitions, approaches and sanity checking, Refine for differentiating respondents facts and opinions and Result for presenting data with story
We have set a benchmark in the industry by offering our clients with syndicated and customized market research reports featuring coverage of entire market as well as meticulous research and analyst insights.
While we don't replace traditional research, we flip the method upside down. Our dual approach of Top Bottom & Bottom Top ensures quality deliverable by not just verifying company fundamentals but also looking at the sector and macroeconomic factors.
With one step in the future, our research team constantly tries to show you the bigger picture. We help with some of the tough questions you may encounter along the way: How is the industry positioned? Best marketing channel? KPI's of competitors? By aligning every element, we help maximize success.
Our report gives you instant access to the answers and sources that other companies might choose to hide. We elaborate each steps of research methodology we have used and showcase you the sample size to earn your trust.
If you need any support, we are here! We pride ourselves on universe strength, data quality, and quick, friendly, and professional service.