Mobile Financial Services in Africa and the Middle East: Telco service portfolios and positioning strategies
"Mobile Financial Services in Africa and the Middle East", a new Telecom Insider Report by GlobalData, provides an executive-level overview of the mobile financial services (MFS) market in Africa & Middle East (AME). It delivers quantitative and qualitative insights into the mobile market, analyzing key trends and growth drivers in the region.
After more than a decade, MFS's contribution to total service revenue is still growing in first-mover markets such as Kenya. At the same time new countries, such as Ghana, are rapidly becoming accustomed to MFS. M-P2P services are still the most widely spread type of service, but prices and charging models differ significantly across the wider Africa and Middle East region. Over the forecast period, operators will increase their focus on digital services as well as more advanced mobile banking products in order to further drive mobile money usage.
It provides in-depth analysis of the following-
- Section 1: Mobile Financial Services: Portfolio: This section provides an overview of the core portfolio of mobile network operators' mobile financial services.
- Section 2: MFS in Africa and the Middle East: This section looks at the recent development and the current state of mobile financial services in AME, while also providing a closer look at the differences and similarities of mobile person-to-person payments.
- Section 3: Case studies: This section looks at a total of three difference case studies from AME giving insight into mobile network operators' portfolios, strategies, positioning, ambitions as well as the impact MFS has had on revenue.
- Section 4: Key findings: it consists of a summary of key findings and growth opportunities for the AME mobile financial services market.
- After more than a decade, the uptake and use of mobile financial services (MFS) is still growing rapidly in a number of countries in the AME region.
- In order to provide a fuller and more advanced range of mobile financial services, operators across the region are both creating in-house solutions and partnering with more traditional financial players.
- Mobile financial services now accounts for up to 1/4 of revenues for the most succesful mobile network operators in the AME region.
Reasons to buy
- Offers a comprehensive and detailed understanding of mobile financial services (MFS) portfolios and positioning in the AME markets.
- The report investigates MFS trends, milestones and competitive attributes, looking in particular at the various drivers and inhibitors in the AME region.
- To study AME's most competitive MNO MFS provisions, in order to inform strategical decision-making.
- The report discusses commercial and technical developments in the wider mobile money market and what these developments might mean for the future.
Table of Contents
Table of contents 3
List of exhibits 4
Executive summary 5
Section 1: Mobile Financial Services (MFS) 6
MFS: Portfolio 7
Section 2: MFS in Africa and the Middle East 8
Existing Services in Africa and the Middle East 9
Drivers and Inhibitors in Africa and the Middle East 10
Key Milestones 11
Taking a Closer Look at M-P2P-Service Comparison 12
Section 3: Case studies 13
Safaricom Kenya 14
MTN Ghana 16
Zain Iraq 18
Section 4: Key findings and recommendations 19
Key findings and recommendations 20
Acronyms and definitions 22
About the authors 23
About GlobalData 24
Contact information 25
List of Figures
Exhibit 1: MFS core portfolio-Definitions 7
Exhibit 2: MFS-Regional prevalence 9
Exhibit 3: MFS drivers and inhibitors 4
Exhibit 4: Mobile money key milestones 11
Exhibit 5: Pricing of M-P2P services, 2018 12
Exhibit 6: Sample Safaricom mobile money marketing 14
Exhibit 7: M-PESA % of service revenue, % 2014-2017e 15
Exhibit 8: M-PESA ARPU, % 2010-2017 15
Exhibit 9: Sample MTN Ghana mobile money marketing 16
Exhibit 10: MFS share of revenue, % 2014-2017e 17
Exhibit 11: Zain mobile money marketing overview 18
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
Mobile Money, m-banking, mobile banking, microfinance, M-Pesa, e-commerce, m-commerce, M-P2P, M-P2B, Credit, Savings, insurance, Iraq, MFS, M-POS, m-wallet
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
The report was very informative and gives me an interesting view on the Indian market.... "Area Sales Manager, Muhlen Sohn GmbH & Co. KG"
We would like to thank the entire team of Ken Research in showcasing professionalism in research and quick turnaround time. We have had multiple research reports from Ken Research. The deadline communicated for research was duly met. The research reports were covering many aspects in detail. This showcases their endeavor and care for client satisfaction and a strong understanding of the clients’ requirements. Thank you again for your help... "Group Vice President Strategy, Aliaxis"
I appreciate their diligence and determination in customizing the research project. The data proves to be valuable and accurate. I would, in future, definitely use their services again... "Technical Marketing Manager, Ascendis Health Limited"
I would like to thank Ken research team for meeting our report deliverables. The report is very good and we appreciate your well cooperation. ... "., Coldwell Banker - Riyadh "
The research you conducted was very helpful for us and the integrity of your research approach gave us great confidence in the data. Look forward to collaborating again in future... "International and Business Dev. Director, Duta Abadi Primantara"