Alternative Payment Solution: Alipay
Alipay is the largest alternative payment services provider globally in terms of transaction value. It is a subsidiary of Ant Financial Services, which is controlled by Alibaba Group Holding Limited. Alipay allows users to make online, in-app, and in-store payments at home and abroad, as well as fund transfers. It is the primary method of payment for Alibaba's online marketplaces, including AliExpress, Tmall, and Taobao. In fiscal year 2018 ended March 31, almost 70% of gross merchandise value on Alibaba's Chinese marketplaces was settled via Alipay. The solution has become mainstream in China, and is used to make payments for everything from retail purchases to taxi fares to hospital costs. Over 40 million Chinese merchants now accept Alipay as a payment method in their stores. Alipay is also available as a payment option for transport in over 50 cities across China, as well as in countries including South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, the US, Italy, and Australia.
Launched in 2004, Alipay is now accepted in more than 110 countries, allowing Chinese tourists to make payments in Chinese yuan, with the amount settled in 27 international currencies. Outside of China, Alipay's strategy focuses on onboarding overseas merchants wherever Chinese tourists are likely to shop. As part of its expansion it has partnered with over 250 overseas financial institutions and payment solution providers, making the service accessible to Chinese tourists in overseas countries and for foreign customers who purchase products from Alipay-partnered Chinese e-commerce sites.
Alipay launched the localized AlipayHK app for Hong Kong residents in May 2017. Initially the service was made available at over 2,000 merchants in Hong Kong. In April 2017, Ant Financial Services merged with helloPay, a payment solution developed by Southeast Asian online marketplace provider Lazada, which operates in countries including Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
The report provides information and insights into alternative payment solution Alipay including-
- Detailed insight into its business
- Comprehensive coverage of its products and services
- Comparative assessment with key alternative payment solutions
- Information on its performance, including its revenue model
- The company's important events and milestones.
- In December 2004, Alipay was launched in China.
- Alipay offers transport payment services in 15 markets including China, South Korea, Hong Kong Singapore, Malaysia, the US, Italy, and Australia.
- In September 2017, Alipay launched the Smile to Pay feature, allowing users to make payments with a smile during checkout at stores.
- In October 2018, Alipay partnered with UniCredit Bank to introduce Alipay in Hungary, enabling Chinese travelers to make payments via Alipay from 2019.
Reasons to buy
- Gain insights into Alipay's business operations and key events.
- Gain insights into its product portfolio and revenue model.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the alternative payments industry by comparing its performance against competitors.
Table of Contents
Products & Services
Partner Banks and Financial Institutions in China
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
Alipay, Ant Financial Services, Alibaba Group Holding Limited, AliExpress, Wirecard, ACI Worldwide, Samsung Pay, Apple, Tenpay, BBVA, UniCredit Bank, Ingenico, VeriFone, NETS
Alipay, Alternative payments, Online payments, In-store payments, In-app payments, Fund transfers
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
The report was very informative and gives me an interesting view on the Indian market.... "Area Sales Manager, Muhlen Sohn GmbH & Co. KG"
We would like to thank the entire team of Ken Research in showcasing professionalism in research and quick turnaround time. We have had multiple research reports from Ken Research. The deadline communicated for research was duly met. The research reports were covering many aspects in detail. This showcases their endeavor and care for client satisfaction and a strong understanding of the clients’ requirements. Thank you again for your help... "Group Vice President Strategy, Aliaxis"
I appreciate their diligence and determination in customizing the research project. The data proves to be valuable and accurate. I would, in future, definitely use their services again... "Technical Marketing Manager, Ascendis Health Limited"
I would like to thank Ken research team for meeting our report deliverables. The report is very good and we appreciate your well cooperation. ... "., Coldwell Banker - Riyadh "
The research you conducted was very helpful for us and the integrity of your research approach gave us great confidence in the data. Look forward to collaborating again in future... "International and Business Dev. Director, Duta Abadi Primantara"