The new report, 'Snacks Market in India', states that the Indian snacks market is experiencing rising demand due to various driving factors which in turn is providing immense opportunities to manufacturers to grow and operate in the market lucratively.
The Indian food and beverage sector is huge and highly competitive in nature. The industry comprises of several sub-sectors such as fruits & vegetables, meat & poultry, dairy, marine products, grains and consumer foods. Snack is one of the major segments of the packaged food division, which comes under the broad category consumer foods. Though the snacks market in India is dominated by the unorganized sector, the organized sector has shown remarkable growth in terms of market share in the last few years.
The report provides a snapshot of the Indian snack industry which has witnessed several changes since 1995. In the initial years, the market was dominated by two players-traditional snacks player Haldiram and 'Uncle Chips' manufacturer Amrit Agro. Later on, with the entry of global beverage and snacks player PepsiCo, the market dynamics changed completely. Now, the market is dominated by PepsiCo with its wide range of product portfolio. The other major players include Parle Agro, ITC, Parle Products, Balaji Wafers and Parle Wafers among others. A number of regional players have also entered the market in the last few years and are giving tough competition to the big players.
The snacks market is classified into two broad segments-Western and traditional snack segments, wherein western snacks enjoy more popularity in comparison to the traditional snacks. Moreover, the western snack segment is dominated by large number of MNCs and organized snack manufacturers.
There are certain factors that predominantly work towards enabling the sector to grow in the likes of higher disposable income that aids in greater spending power by consumers, rapid urbanization which leads to busy lifestyle and subsequent inclination of consumers toward packaged food products and aggressive marketing campaigns by all the players to break the product clutter and attract consumers toward their brand. In addition to these, the other factors which are contributing towards rapid growth of the industry include growing working women population, fast expanding retail network and the convenience factor associated with snack consumption.
Though there is no specific regulation pertaining to snacks, quality standards laid by FSSAI has to be followed by the industry players. Various government policies that have been formulated for the food processing sector such as FDI, tax benefits and export promotions are applicable for the snack category as well.
To sum up, the Indian snacks industry is a stable market at present and has strong growth potential in the future years.
Slide 1: Executive Summary
Slide 2: GDP at Factor Cost: Quarterly (2009-10-2012-13), Inflation Rate: Monthly (Jul-Dec 2012)
Slide 3: Gross Fiscal Deficit: Monthly (Sep 2012-Feb 2013), Exchange Rate: Half Yearly (Aug 2012- Jan 2013)
Slide 4: Lending Rate: Annual (2008-09-2011-12), Trade Balance: Annual (2009-10-2012-13), FDI Annual (2009-10-2012-13)
Slide 5-6: Introduction
Slide 7-11: Snacks Market-Overview, Market Size & Growth (2012-2017e), Market Segmentation (2012) and Market Share of Players (2008 & 2012)
Slide 12: Value Chain Analysis
Slide 13-15: Market Segmentation-Western Snacks and Traditional Snacks
Slide 16-26: Consumer Insights on Snacks
Import & Export
Slide 27-28: Total Imports-Major Types of Snacks (2009 to Apr-Dec 2012)
Slide 29-30: Total Exports-Major Types of Snacks (2009 to Apr-Dec 2012)
Drivers & Challenges
Slide 31: Summary
Slide 32-38: Drivers
Slide 39-42: Challenges
Government Rules & Policies
Slide 43: Summary
Slide 44-46: Food Safety and Standards Act 2006 & Regulations 2011
Slide 47: Government policies
Slide 48: Summary
Slide 49: Fiscal Incentives for Food Processing Sector
Slide 50: Other Initiatives
Slide 51: Summary
Slide 52-61: Key Trends
Slide 62: Market Competition-Porter's Five Forces Analysis
Slide 63-67: Competitive Benchmarking
Slide 68-77: Major Public Players
Slide 78: Major Private Companies-Summary
Slide 79-123: Major Private Players
Slide 124-127: Strategic Recommendations
Slide 128: Appendix
Slide 129: Sources of Information
Macro Economic Indicators
1. GDP at Factor Cost: Quarterly (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12,2012-13)
2. Inflation Rate: Monthly (Aug-Sep 2012, Sep-Oct 2012, Oct-Nov 2012, Nov-Dec 2012, Dec 2012-Jan 2013)
3. Gross Fiscal Deficit: Monthly (Sep 2012, Oct 2012, Nov 2012, Dec 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2013)
4. Exchange Rate: Monthly (Sep 2012, Oct 2012, Nov 2012, Dec 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2013)
5. Lending Rate: Annual (2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12)
6. Trade Balance: Annual (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13)
7. FDI: Annual (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13)
1. Snacks Market Size and Growth (2012-2017e)
2. Market Segmentation-Organized & Unorganized Sector (2012)
3. Region-wise Sales of Packaged Food (2012)
4. Change in Market Share of Major Players (2008 & 2012)
5. Brand Share of Chips (2012)
6. Share of Youngsters Spending on Snacks
1. Segmental Shares-Western Snacks and Traditional Snacks (2012)
2. Market Share of Various Snacks (2012)
3. Organized-Unorganized Breakup (2012)-Western Snacks
4. Organized-Unorganized Breakup (2012)-Traditional Snacks
1. Profile of Respondents-Profile of Respondents-Age Wise (years)
2. Snacks Consumption Share
3. Share of Potential Future Consumers
4. Frequency of Consumption
5. Pattern of Non-daily Consumption
6. Consumption Pattern-Western, Traditional and Both & Preference-wise Share of 'Both' Category
7. Purchase Pattern-Single Packet Purchase, Bulk Purchase and Both & Preference-wise Share of 'Both' Category
8. Preference Wise Share of the Factors Influencing Purchasing Decision
9. Consumer's Purchasing Points
10. Preference-wise share of various brands purchased
11. Purchase Pattern of Various Price Brackets
12. Budget Allocation for Snacks (Weekly)
13. Shares of Various Promotional Mediums
Import & Export
1. Imports-Total Imports (2009 to Apr-Dec 2012)
2. Imports-Major Importing Nations-Value Wise (2011)
3. Exports-Total Exports (2009 to Apr-Dec 2012)
4. Exports-Major Exporting Nations-Value Wise (2011)
Drivers & Challenges
1. Rapid Urbanization-Growth in Urban Population (2001-2011)
2. Growing Income and Consumption-Aggregate Consumption (2005-2025e) and Aggregate Disposable Income (2005-2025e)
3. Marketing Campaigns-Growth in Television Industry (2010-2015e) and Development of Print Media (2009-2014e)
4. Increasing Working Women Population-Working Women Population (2010-2015e)
5. Growing Retail Market-Number of Retail Outlets in India (2000-2010), Number of Hypermarkets in India (2008-2011), Organized Retail Market Space (2010-2020e) Growth of Malls in India (2010-11 & 2011-12)
6. Rise in Packaging Costs-Crude Oil Prices (Apr 2012-March 2013)
1. Introduction of Healthy Snacks-Health & Wellness Food Market (2011-2015e), Share of Healthy Snacks in the overall Snacks Market
1. Competitive Benchmarking-Key Ratios of Top 3 Companies-Operational Basis (2011-12)
2. Competitive Benchmarking-Key Ratios of Top 3 Companies-Financial Basis (2011-12)
3. Company profiles (All Companies)
a. Ownership Structure (Private Companies)
b. Financial Snapshot
c. Key Business segments (Public Companies)
d. Key Geographic segments (Public Companies)
1. Description of various parameters of the survey
Drivers & Challenges
1. Unorganized Sector and Local Players-List of Few Regional Players and their brands
1. Introduction of Healthy Snacks-Parameters for modifications
1. Public Trading Comparables (FY 2012)
2. Company profiles (All Companies)
a. Company Information (All Companies)
b. Products and Services (All Companies)
c. Key People (All Companies)
d. Shareholders of the Company (Private Companies)
e. Key Financial Performance Indicators (Public Companies)
f. Key Ratios (All Companies)
g. Business Highlights (All Companies)
2. Sources of Information
1. DFM Foods Ltd.
2. ITC Ltd.
1. Balaji Wafers Pvt. Ltd.
2. Bikanervala Foods Pvt. Ltd.
3. Haldiram Snacks Pvt. Ltd.
4. Parle Agro Pvt. Ltd.
5. Parle Products Pvt. Ltd.
6. Prataap Snacks Pvt. Ltd.
7. Ushodaya Enterprises Pvt. Ltd.
8. MTR Foods Pvt. Ltd.
9. PepsiCo India Holdings Pvt. Ltd.
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
The report was very informative and gives me an interesting view on the Indian market.... "Area Sales Manager, Muhlen Sohn GmbH & Co. KG"
We would like to thank the entire team of Ken Research in showcasing professionalism in research and quick turnaround time. We have had multiple research reports from Ken Research. The deadline communicated for research was duly met. The research reports were covering many aspects in detail. This showcases their endeavor and care for client satisfaction and a strong understanding of the clients’ requirements. Thank you again for your help... "Group Vice President Strategy, Aliaxis"
I appreciate their diligence and determination in customizing the research project. The data proves to be valuable and accurate. I would, in future, definitely use their services again... "Technical Marketing Manager, Ascendis Health Limited"
I would like to thank Ken research team for meeting our report deliverables. The report is very good and we appreciate your well cooperation. ... "., Coldwell Banker - Riyadh "
The research you conducted was very helpful for us and the integrity of your research approach gave us great confidence in the data. Look forward to collaborating again in future... "International and Business Dev. Director, Duta Abadi Primantara"