Global healthcare industry is worth USD 8 trillion. At over USD 10,000 per capita, US healthcare spending is 30% higher than the world's second highest spender-Switzerland-and approximately 6.5 times higher than levels in China. Because of this higher spending, the implication is that the US healthcare sector is wasteful.
There has been a surge of interest in whether or not better technology might extract greater efficiency gains. Thus far, the global healthcare industry-especially the US healthcare industry-has been slow to modernize due to the fact that the industry is complex, risk averse, and highly regulated.
The Internet of Things (IoT) is transforming the healthcare industry. Organizations are utilizing IoT technologies to access real-time data and gain visibility into their operations throughout the manufacturing value chain. For hundreds of years, the key drivers of progress in healthcare were biology and chemistry. Now, they are data science and software.
The global IoT devices market in the healthcare sector is expected to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 47.3% from 2016 to 2020, to over USD 500M. One important market driver that is propelling the wider adoption of IoT in healthcare is the convergence of Big Data and IoT, which opens up significant opportunities for the industry overall. Big Healthcare is being gradually undermined by swelling networks of connected biosensors, ubiquitous mobile devices, and cloud-based healthcare apps. Collectively, these phenomena are grouped under the umbrella term, The Internet of Healthcare Things.
Six broad technology categories are set to transform the healthcare industry over the next two years: Genomics, Mobile Health, Health Information Technology (IT) Systems, Robotics, Virtual Reality,and 3D Printing. Unless major investment are carried out, in the long term the losers will be Big Pharma and Big Medical Equipment players. However, in the short term, the threat level for these companies is low.
The report "Healthtech-Thematic Research", is part of an ecosystem of thematic investment research reports.The report offers in-depth research intoHealthtech; identifying winners and losers based on technology leadership, market position and other factors.
Companies Mentioned: Qualcomm, Proteus Digital Health, Oxford, Nanopore, Medtronic, Illumina, iCarbonX, IBM Watson, Ginger.io, Fitbit, First Sensor, Enlitic, Cyberdyne, Cerner, Biovotion, BGI Shenzhen, AtomWise, Apple, Alphabet, AliveCor, Agendia, 23andMe
This report is part of our ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by our thematic engine. About our Thematic Research Ecosystem-
- GlobalData has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalData's thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, GlobalData tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in GlobalData's thematic engine help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. Our 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. Our thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Multi-Theme report, covering all stocks, all sectors and all themes, giving readers a strong sense of how everything fits together and how conflicting themes might interact with one another.
Reasons to buy
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
Table of Contents
VALUE CHAIN 7
THE INTERNET OF HEALTHTECH THINGS 10
DISRUPTIVE HEALTHCARE TECHNOLOGIES 11
Mobile Health 13
Health IT Systems 14
Virtual and Augmented Reality 18
3D Printing 19
INDUSTRY ANALYSIS 20
Digital Health Highlights Across Major Therapy Areas in 2017 22
Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disorders 24
Infectious Diseases 25
Public Companies 27
Private Healthtech Companies 29
APPENDIX: OUR THEMATIC RESEARCH METHODOLOGY 30
Single User License:
Corporate User License:
Proteus Digital Health
select a license
NEWSLETTER BY CATEGORY
An excellent provider. Thorough, precise and outstanding insight. They drill down to what we need and their reports are effective at integrating text with supporting graphics and charts. Their reports are a great resource to go back too. ... "General Manager SBU Manufacture, PT. KIMIA FARMA, TBK"
Coherent, high-quality, thoroughly-researched reports. We received a very quick response to all our queries which eventually expedited the entire process.... "VP Innovation, Engineered Profiles LLC"
Well structured, the insights they shared with us were very helpful and reliable. Their timely assistance make their services invaluable to us. I would highly recommend them and would definitely use them again in the future if needed... "President, VPP E-Data Services, VPP E-Data Services"
The report sent to us was on the point, and its information was quite extensive, well structured, and well researched. More importantly what we valued was your response time and professionalism. As a leading global consulting firm, our clients expect high quality deliverables in short periods of time, so a reliable research partner is essential. For the price that you have charged the quality of your services were exceptional. We look forward to continue our relationship with your team on future engagements.... "Senior Associate, Booz Allen Hamilton"
This is with regards to your report on India PVC pipes and fitting market outlook industry outlook to 2019. This is a very well written report and accept my compliments on the same.... ... "Mohit Mittal, Consultant, KPMG Advisory Services"